nyc

Friday, March 12, 2010

Food inc

The movie really surprised me because I had no idea that the food business works in that way. It is true that somehow we have benefited from this, since food it is made in large amounts, food it is cheaper, but not cheap enough. People turn to fast food because they don’t have time to cook and feed their families and also because it is cheaper than any other kind of food, but no one really knows where this food comes from. That’s what this movie’s intention is about, to let everybody know where and how the food we eat is made. It is obvious why the factories don’t want us to know this, because if we knew the truth we would probably stop buying these companies products.

Most of my life I’ve lived in my native country, Ecuador, which it’s a third world country so I really don’t know if food it’s made in the same way as it is in this country, maybe the factories are not as big and powerful as they are here, but I do think that there a few that works similarly. What shocked me the most it’s how animals are treated, I’m really against animal abuse and to see how they are treated shows how cruel people can be in order to make money and to be more powerful. People are also creating animals that are bigger than they have ever been in a smaller amount of time, who knows what they are giving to them in order to achieve this. Not only animals are being abused, but people are also suffering from this, by paying low wages and most people are immigrants so they can’t really complain about it or they will be deported. People need to be aware of what it is going. We are the only ones that can make a difference. Something has to be done in order to create better and healthful methods to make food as soon as possible.

8 comments:

  1. The movie surprised me as well. I didn't know how badly the business works in order to sell thongs cheap. And yea we all turn to fast food because of how cheap it is and we find it ''economic'' but don't realize how its going to affect us in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely I agree that the food being produced by these industries is very filthy and the way treat animals and humans is very tragic. something has to be done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suprised as well to learn how the animals were treated. The workers for these companies were treated like slaves working for low wages at the expense of the greedy food companies. And,yes the immigrants suffered greatly from these unethicals practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too become curious about my country's food system after watching this movie. I was surprised that food companies can be powerful. Also I agree it is painful to watch how those workers and animals are being treated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we can all say that the movie has surprised us, and left us wanting to become more involved with this food industry problem. There is so much manipulation and abuse its really disturbing. You mentioned Ecuador, I wonder if it has any ties to the American agribusiness. We have to demand change from the food industry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanessa!

    Lots of great points - I would also be curious to see a comparison between US and Ecuador food production (or to see if there is any relationship between the countries - for example, I think a lot of the bananas sold in the US are from Ecuador). My sister lived there for many years, so I will ask her too. Let us know what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - We need some Ecuadorian recipes in the recipe blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with your posting. It's sad to see how the immigrant workers are treated because they don't deserve it. All they're trying to do is make a living to support their families and themselves. The animal cruelty shown in the film is horrifying because the animals are defenseless. I'm sure the food industry workers wouldn't want to be thrown around like balls and poked with sharp objects. The way we have feelings, animals do too and should be protected.

    ReplyDelete